Lincoln East High School's home of Spartan news

East varsity volleyball defeats Northeast three to zero

Photo by Kylie Brown
Lincoln East’s Varsity Volleyball team going for the ball in the final minutes of the third set of thier game agaisnt the Northeast Rockets, Tuesday September 12, 2023. With twin scores in the twenties, and both teams vying for a win, East’s victory in the next three points secured them the set and won them the game.

On Tuesday, September 12, 2023, Lincoln East’s Varsity Volleyball team went up against and defeated the Northeast Rockets at Northeast High School. After a tense third and final set, East secured their victory against the Rockets, ending the game three sets in and continuing signs of a promising season for the team.

East started the game strong with stellar collaboration and performance, securing a major lead against the Rockets early on and keeping it all the way to the end, winning the first set with 25 points to Northeast’s 7.

Things became more tense in the second set, as the Rockets took an unexpected 6-0 lead, and East was unable to maintain the same lead they’d held earlier. However, after much back and forth and a tie at 15 points each, the Spartans managed to pull ahead and win the set, 25 points to 21, leaving them with only one set away from victory.

“This team is so special, because everybody works together,” head coach Nicole Johnson said. “We [have] one girl go down, somebody steps right in, and it’s easy peasy, we’re ready to go.”

However, in the third set, tensions were much higher as both teams stayed locked in a back and forth throughout the majority of the match, tying first at 8 points each, then again at 11. Eventually, East managed to pull ahead with a score of 21 to 17, but Northeast caught up yet again and the two teams tied once more at 22 points each. Finally, after much effort, East managed three consecutive points, bringing the final score to 25 points to 22, ending the match and winning the game.

“I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t worried,” Johnson said. “I mean what coach isn’t? But at the same time, I’ve got full confidence, full faith in my girls that we’re gonna get it together, and we did.”

Through East’s aggressive serve, teamwork, and perseverance, refusing to be rattled even when the situation became tense, East left the game with another win and a positive outlook towards the season.

“They gave it all they got,” Johnson said. “And we held our ground.”