Mrs. Driewer takes on her 34th year of teaching at her 8th school

Photo by Kendra Riekenberg
Ms. Driewer is a new teacher at Lincoln East but is going into her 34th year of education. She currently teaches pre-calculus and geometry.

Anne Driewer may be new to Lincoln East, but she is no stranger to the world of teaching. Her work experience ranges from teaching at Aurora, Bradshaw, Blessed Sacrament, Pius, and UNL, to becoming a principal at St. Josephs in York, and even working at the women’s prison in York for Metro Community College. She’s taught chemistry and english, but mostly enjoys mathematics. Lincoln East is lucky to have Mrs. Driewer as she enters her 34th year of teaching.

Driewer comes from a family of one brother, along with two stepbrothers and stepsisters. Her big family continued into adulthood as she now has seven kids, with ages ranging from 29 to 16. She grew up in the Elkhorn area and attended Elkhorn High School, participating in yearbook, cheerleading, student council, and working a part time job.

Growing up, Driewer never wanted to be a teacher. She had her heart set on going to Princeton and becoming an obstetrician, until discovering her talent for teaching while tutoring kids in high school. Driewer later earned her math degree at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln.

“My favorite part about teaching is when kids have that aha moment,” Driewer said. “That light bulb moment. We live for that as teachers.”

Whether she is a principal or a math teacher, Driewer finds satisfaction in helping students rise to their fullest potential. She loves to see kids take pride in their work, regardless of their final letter grade.

She mixes up the daily work her students do in class, whether it is taking notes with a partner, or starting class with a short quiz.

“I like how Mrs. Driewer gives us options on how we want to work on an assignment,” pre-calculus student Kate Evans said. “We get to pick who we get to work with or if we want to work individually.”

Here at East, Driewer is teaching Diff Pre-Calculus and Geometry. The teaching aspect is familiar to her, and not much is different in regards to the curriculum at Pius, where she taught for the past 12 years. But, she’s still learning how to transition into the new rules and expectations.

“Everything reminds me that I’m a brand new teacher all over again,” Driewer said. “Learning new students, learning new schedules, new technology. It makes me feel humble.”

Driewer is thankful for the friendly staff and family atmosphere at both Pius and East. Having helpful people with strong work ethics has helped her with adapting to this new environment.

Throughout her many years of teaching, Driewer has the same goal every year: to be the best teacher she can be.

“I want to be prepared,” Driewer said. “I want to get students excited about learning. I want to make a difference in kids’ lives.”