Lincoln East High School's home of Spartan news

Lincoln Public Schools’ new phone policy positively impacts East High

Photo by Ava Chapin
Lincoln Public Schools implements a new district-wide cell phone policy in the 2023-2024 school year, restricting students from using electronic devices during class. The policy has immensely improved academic performance.

During the summer before the 2023-2024 school year, Lincoln Public Schools informed students and their families of a new district-wide cell phone policy. After being implemented into two high schools the previous year and showing success, it was then applied to all LPS elementary, middle, and high schools, with the guidelines slightly differing between each.

The policy for high schoolers states that phones are only to be used during passing periods and lunch time. All personal electronic devices must be powered off and out of sight during class, and there are three steps of consequences if the expectations are not met.

At Lincoln East High School, teachers clearly communicated the rules of the policy during the first few days of the year. At first, many students opposed it, wondering how they would get through the year with such restrictions. But now it’s the new normal, and its positive effects delight teachers and parents.

“Students are talking to one another again,” East teacher Michaela Schleicher said. “I’ve also found there’s less late work, missing work, and students as a whole have done better on assessments because they’re not so distracted by their devices.”

While every student has their own opinion, it’s no doubt that the policy is leading to greater academic performance. Lincoln East senior Erin Krueger has never been a student to constantly be on her phone during school, but she has noticed it’s impact on her peers.

“Personally, I don’t see a difference with myself,” Krueger said. “The phone policy didn’t really affect me, but I’ve been seeing more people engaged and using their time wisely.”

Despite being in place for only slightly over a month, the policy has turned out to be a huge success, showing a positive sign to return in the years to come.

View Comments (4)
About the Contributor
Ava Chapin
Ava Chapin, Staff Writer, Editor
Ava Chapin is a senior this year at Lincoln East, and is entering her second year on staff. This year she will serve both as a staff writer and editor. Ava is the youngest of 2 siblings, and her older brother attends the UNL Raikes program. She is involved in our school theater department, and loves to watch movies. These two interests brought her to a job at Lincoln Grand Cinema. Ava dreams of traveling to Ireland one day, to see the beautiful beaches. She would love to live in New York City because of the many opportunities New York has to offer.

Comments (4)

All The Oracle Picks Reader Picks Sort: Newest

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

• A

Ava ChapinMar 7, 2024 at 10:07 AM

this is so scrumdidliumptious

Reply
    • T

Taylor SwiftApr 3, 2024 at 10:13 AM

love this!

Reply
  • A

Ava ChapinMar 7, 2024 at 10:05 AM

this is so scrumdidliumptious

Reply
  • J

Janet GrabensteinOct 4, 2023 at 10:38 AM

This is a good thing and a ‘no brainer’… should have occurred ages ago.

Reply