East High plays against Lincoln High for their opponent’s homecoming game

Photo by Tina Mashayekhi
Junior quarterback Jeter Worthley (13), passes the ball to Noah Burhoop (2) during the October 6th, 2023 game against Lincoln High. The Spartans were victorious 56-0.

The East High Spartans won against Lincoln High’s Links on October 6th,2023, at Seacrest Field for the Link’s homecoming game. Lincoln High’s dance was being held the same night, so the game was moved up to 4:30 pm, and many students at East were happy about this, because it meant they were able to still enjoy their Friday night after the game. The match ended at 6:30 pm, giving the Links time to get ready for their dance, and the Spartans time to start their weekend fun.

“I think all of the cheerleaders were stoked that we did win that game, because then we could go home and we could all celebrate it,” senior varsity cheerleader, Lauren Eilers, said. “The football players were happy about it and it created a lot of good vibes throughout the squad and the football team.”

The Spartans expected to leave the game as winners, and they did as they beat the Links by a landslide, winning 56-0. With such a lead on their side, East’s coaches were able to swap in lots of players who don’t typically get a lot of action, as it was a fun way to further boost morale for the team and keep the student section engaged in a game that seemed to otherwise be very cut and dry.

“We’re gonna use that game to keep going for our season and hope to get better just from there,” junior quarterback, Jeter Worthley, said. “We got two pretty tough games coming up, so it was good to win like that, it gives us momentum going to those two.”

The game was a great opportunity to bolster the team’s confidence for the end of the season, and with playoffs looming near the end of October, the Spartans are hoping to make it to the playoffs.