Lincoln East High School's home of Spartan news

Behind the Bookshelves: A deeper look at the work of East’s school librarians

Photo by Kylie Brown
Featured left to right, Pam Kolbe and Abby Lott, East’s media technician and school librarian working at the library front desk, October 5, 2023. All three library staff are available and working throughout the school day, and can be found at East’s library front desk.

Most people assume “librarian” is the general, lackluster job position held by anyone working at Lincoln East High School’s library; but that’s just not true. This 2023 school year, East’s library staff consists of three women who work every day to make East a better, safer, and more functioning place, and these wonderful women do a lot more for the school than people might think.

East only has one official librarian, Abby Lott, and the rest of the library staff consists of Tosha Mansheim, the media secretary, and Pam Kolbe, East’s media technician. But regardless of job specificity, it’s undeniable that East’s librarians perform a huge variety of services, including several that the general school body doesn’t know about.

“We do a lot of behind the scenes work, kind of what makes the building tick or the heartbeat of the school,” Lott said. “[Students] know that they can come in here and print and get books and ask questions, but maybe they don’t know all of the other pieces we do behind the scenes. “

Some of the primary services the librarians work to provide are things that affect everyone at East, like Chromebook repair and general technology assistance. From fixing damaged equipment to sending out tips and tricks to teachers on how to efficiently use technology, the media center is the source.

“[We’re] the first line of defense for really all technology issues,” Lott said. “If a projector or microphone goes down in a classroom, teachers call us first.”

Another crucial role in the library is that of maintaining a well managed and informative collection; combing through the library and examining the conditions of books, frequency of checkouts, if the publication date is recent enough to be considered still quality information to be given to students, etc.

“In the three years I’ve been here we have weeded both collections, nonfiction and fiction,” Lott said. “That’s probably something that people don’t know: the behind the scenes on keeping a collection that is well loved, but also well-kept and up to date.”

On top of providing constant assistance for technological issues, maintaining a quality literary collection, and helping the school as a whole run smoothly, the library also works tirelessly to provide a safe and inclusive environment for students, one where they can feel welcome, supported, listened to, and be engaged.

“We’re kind of the hub,” Mansheim said. “We’re located in the middle, and it’s a go to for any students who have problems, if they need a safe spot, or if they love to read.”

With so much that the library provides, from longer opening times, study hall, and even just a fun place to connect with friends over lunch, it’s undeniable that East is lucky to have such motivated and passionate women working at its school and providing so much for both student and staff bodies as a whole.

“We offer a safe place for a lot of people,” Lott said. “It’s the living room of the school.”