Spartans dress their best to show pride in the student section

Photo by Emma Engelman
The student section accurately reflects how students feel about Spartan football at the September 14 game against Northeast. Neon is a popular and reoccurring theme at East since it’s so easy to participate.

Behind every Lincoln East football, basketball, or volleyball game, there’s a different theme to represent Spartan pride through the student section. Students repost the new theme to their Instagram stories and show out wearing all of the corresponding gear to the game. Known for being the most loud and supporting groups in the stands, oftentimes students prefer dressing up for the game over everything else.

In order to get the most participation from everyone, Instagram shorts are posted to give details about the game’s location and theme. The videos feature the student section leaders, some athletes participating in the game, and sometimes an East staff member. As a student section leader, the main thing to focus on is getting the student body fired up to support the athletes.

“We kinda just throw out a ton of ideas, talk to the athletic directors, and look on social media,” senior and student section leader Logan Hoffman said.

From some of the older themes to the newer ones, students never fail to dress cohesively with the concept. Some of the themes that have been at East for so long, like white to blue, toga, neon, and beach, are no challenge to participants. But each year, new ideas pop up, causing some unique outfit designs. The recent themes that have never been seen before typically come from suggestions given by students. For example, bearcat hunting and Barbie.

“My favorite theme would have to be neon,” junior Sadie Yager said. “It’s a basic theme, but it’s one that you can have a lot of fun with. A lot of people can easily participate and it definitely makes a student section stand out.”

All of this being said, it’s clear to see that Spartan Spirit is here to stay for many years to come.