Lincoln East introduces its German Club to students

Photo by Claire Weibye
Lincoln East’s German Club plays board games at their meeting on October 25, 2023. The club meets in room 129 every Wednesday from 3:15-4:15, during which they further their understanding of the language of German.

October 11, 2023 marked the first meeting for one of Lincoln East’s newest clubs, the German Club. This group of students, who have a shared interest in the language of German, meet in room 129 every Wednesday after school from 3:15-4:00 pm. While at German Club, students can choose what they focus on. For their first meeting, they got to know each other, and made posters inviting and encouraging other students to join the club. Other meetings have given students the chance to learn more about their personalities in German, as well as playing german-made board games.

Surrounding themselves with the language can help the students improve their comfortability and skill of speaking and writing in German. The club’s sponsor, Lincoln East’s German teacher Frau Krueger, believes that German Club can provide students with an incentive to learn more about the language.

“Attending German Club can help gain proficiency in German in many aspects,” Krueger said. “It is a space for students to find other students interested in German, and build a collective community that has a deep desire to learn as much as they can about and in German.”

Rachel Koch, a sophomore, wanted to start the German Club for this exact reason. German can be difficult to learn, and she wanted to help herself and others gain extra practice for their German classes.

“I wanted to start a German club to work on improving my German,” Koch said. It is such a complicated language. The grammar and long words are difficult to remember, and the club has helped me speak German better.”

German Club is always planning ahead for fun and new activities to teach students not only about the language of German, but also the country’s culture. A meeting that many are looking forward to is on November 18th, during which they will be meeting in the FCS kitchen to bake German goods.

If you are interested in learning more about German speaking countries, increasing your German fluency, or just want a safe space to hang out with your friends, stop by room 129 on Wednesdays after school.