Behind the scenes: snowy sports cancellations

Photo by Emma Mcentarffer
The East Girls Swim Team poses for a picture after their practice on January 18, 2024. The team has resumed practices following the multiple snow cancellations.

It has been a snowy start to the second semester at Lincoln East. While everyone loves a snow day, winter sports have suffered the consequences of four snow days in two weeks. Rescheduled games, canceled practices, and loss of time together as a team have all affected athletes and coaches.

“This winter sports season has been one of the most challenging in recent years,” East’s athletic director Zachary Limbach said. “So far, we have been fortunate in successfully rescheduling almost all of our Varsity and JV contests. However, we have lost some of our Reserve and Freshman basketball games, as well as a few Varsity and JV wrestling meets.”

The rescheduling process is a tedious one. First, the athletic directors make schedules for each school. If there is severe weather, then check-ins happen so everyone is on the same page. Once a contest has to be canceled, the directors work to spread information through social media posts and emails. The news must be communicated with multiple different stakeholders: coaches, players, parents, trainers, etc.

A harsh reality of the snowed out games and meets is rescheduling isn’t always possible. Factors like dates not aligning, not enough officials, and not overworking athletes all play a role. Also, cancellations of practices over the snowpocalypse gives teams less time together during the hectic winter season.

“For our team the snow days obviously changed up the usual routine of having practice or games everyday,” Junior basketball player Addison Shirk said. “Staying focused and being ready to play was a challenge when we got back.”

As the winter season continues one can only hope for no more snow days to ensure a smooth finish. Coaches, players, and athletic directors all want the best for this season. All that’s left to do is pray to mother nature.