Lincoln East High School's home of Spartan news

“Quiet on Set: The Dark Side of Kids TV” reveals the twisted truth of Hollywood

Quiet on Set: the Dark Side of Kids TV, directed by Mary Robertson and Emma Schwartz, came out on March 17, 2024. Featuring former child stars, like Drake Bell and Alexa Nikolas, this docuseries reveals the heinous truth of childhood stardom in Hollywood.
Photo by Photo courtesy of MAX
“Quiet on Set: the Dark Side of Kids TV”, directed by Mary Robertson and Emma Schwartz, came out on March 17, 2024. Featuring former child stars, like Drake Bell and Alexa Nikolas, this docuseries reveals the heinous truth of childhood stardom in Hollywood.

The “Quiet on Set: The Dark Side of Kids TV” docuseries directed by Mary Robertson and Emma Schwartz features several of Nickelodeon’s earliest child stars that are now old enough to tell the public about their experience working with infamous producer, Dan Schneider, and other powerful people in the film industry. Released on March 17, 2024, it shattered the innocent image of popular TV shows, like “Victorious” and “The Amanda Show.”

The series focuses on the allegations of sexual harassment, racism, and other inappropriate behavior from Schneider, as well as the proven sexual abuse from Nickelodeon’s dialogue coach, Brian Peck.

Drake Bell acted in several different Nickelodeon shows from a very young age, including the well known “Drake and Josh” sitcom that aired from 2004-2007. While he appeared to have a successful childhood filled with joy and laughter, Bell’s interview on “Quiet on Set” revealed a much darker truth.

Brian Peck, Bell’s dialogue coach on “The Amanda Show,” had committed several acts of sexual assault and abuse towards Bell during his early teenage years. This documentary is the first time this story has ever been told to the public.

“When I first heard about this, I was shocked and truly disgusted,” East senior Ashlyn Ballentine said. “I think that it’s really important for people to watch the documentary, especially if they grew up watching shows on Nickelodeon. I would have never imagined something as terrible as this was really happening behind the scenes.”

While “Quiet on Set” disclosed this former private information of the appalling crimes committed on these child stars, it also released a list of powerful directors, actors, and other famous celebrities that were in favor of Peck during his court session against Bell.

Not only has this docuseries allowed the truth to finally come out, but it hopefully kickstarts a healing process for all of the children involved with Nickelodeon’s dark age.