East ends defeated in Southwest bowling dual

A member from the Lincoln East Boys Bowling team bowls his 10th frame at Parkway lanes on Tuesday, January 17, 2023 at a dual against Lincoln Southwest.

The Lincoln East girls and boys Bowling team is amidst their inaugural season as a winter sport in this year. Lincoln East Teachers, Lee Plath heads the boys team, and Chelsea Richardson is the leader of the girls. Composed of seven members on each team, the Spartans are striking their way through the season. Between practice and duals, the teams are in the bowling alley at least four days per week, with an off day mixed in on occasion.

On Tuesday, January 17, 2023, the Lincoln East Spartans battled a common rival, the Southwest Silverhawks. Southwest’s experienced team helped push them to victory, defeating the boys team 18-3 and the girls 16-5. An overarching bright spot in the dual was senior Carson Campbell’s personal best, and unofficial school record of 231 points in one game.

Both coaches are seeing great improvement from everyone on the team throughout the season and finding coaching to be rewarding. For Coach Plath, his previous bowling experience and interest is guiding him through all it takes to build a program from the ground up.

“I was in junior leagues in my hometown in Minnesota,” Plath said. “The reason I got into it was because my dad worked on bowling machines, and my brother and I got into it.”

However, Richardson had other motivations for becoming coach. Richardson didn’t participate in high school athletics, rather was involved in band, but saw the implementation of bowling as a sport as a great way for students to get involved.

“Bowling is just another way for a lot of students to get involved in a new way,” Richardson said. “Especially those students who might not typically or previously be involved in sports.”

The Lincoln East bowling teams will next participate in the district tournament at Sun Valley Lanes at 12:30 pm on Monday, January 30th, 2023, with hopes for individual and team bids to the state tournament.