Girls Varsity Golf smokes Spartan Invite

looking ahead to state
Elly Honnens driving the ball onto the fairway at Mahoney Golf Course on Thursday, September 21, 2023. This was the second hole of the day for her, starting the front nine off strong.

The Lincoln East Girls Golf Varsity and JV teams played Mahoney Golf Course on Thursday, September 21, 2023, for the Spartan Invite Tournament. Fifteen other schools attended; East’s biggest competitors being Lincoln Southwest, Kearney, Pius X, and Papio South. East ended the day with a big victory, and the team is looking forward to state.

“We’ve got a lot of talent,” Head Coach Brian Bullington said. “It always helps when you start with a lot of talent, then you add the work ethic, and the personalities that mesh together so well in this group. The team chemistry has been really good.”

It was a beautiful, fall-weathered day, and what made it even more beautiful was a lovely Spartan win. East came in first place with a final score of 320, second place was Kearney with 358, and Papio South took third with 384.

“This year at state, Southwest, along with Omaha Marian, are the teams we want to beat,” Bullington said. “I think we are right there, closing the gap on them. If we continue to work hard, and put in the time, a state title is in the looks for us.”

Along with winning the Spartan Invite, the top three finishers of the day were all East players. Senior Elly Honnens, who shot a 75, took first, second place went to junior Addison Shirk, who shot an 80, and junior Bella Elgert placed third with 81.

“We’ve definitely had our ups and downs this year. We’ve had a teammate injured, and had to overcome some illnesses,” Honnens said. “But mainly we are all working really hard- way harder than last year. We are excited for state.”