Zooming in on Lincoln East’s Film Club

Lincoln East High School Film Club leaders Annabelle Kumm and Ms. Funk pose for a photo after a successful first meeting on Thursday, Jan. 12, 2023. The two are excited to kick off the club and welcome new members.

Photo by Ava Chapin

Lincoln East High School’s brand new Film Club had their first meeting on Thursday, January 12, 2023. The meeting began with an introduction of the club’s founder, Annabelle Kumm, along with the advisor, Lauren Funk. Activities consisted of a film-themed trivia game of Kahoot, and get-to-know-you questions for members to become familiar with each other. The meeting also laid out the club’s basics and what to expect for the rest of the year.

Kumm founded the club in hopes of creating a space for creative freedom and expression of oneself alongside hands-on work with film/animation.

“I was thinking about something that everyone can do as a way to express themselves and tell their story,” Kumm said.

The club’s first project is for each member to film a 15-30 second montage of things in their daily lifestyle that represent them. The project’s purpose is for all of the members to become acquainted with each other and introduce themselves in a format that relates to the theme of conveying personality through the format of film.

“We live in a digital age where video is important and it’s a really good way to tell your story because a picture is worth a thousand words, and a video is worth a million,” Kumm said.

Looking into the future, a goal of Kumm’s is for the club to make films together – possibly even a feature length – and then enter the films into the All American High School Film Festival. She is also thinking about creating a social media account and/or a YouTube channel to showcase the work that the club’s members produce.

Film Club meets after school every Thursday in room 023. For more information, the club’s Google Classroom code is: nmkuh2x. Kumm encourages anyone interested to join, especially,

“Anyone who has a story to tell, and would like to tell it through video,” Kumm said.