East High marching band impresses audience at homecoming game

Photo by Cyan Seymour
Joslyn Walton waves her flag during the marching band’s performance at East’s homecoming on September 21, 2023. Her contribution as part of color guard really helped pull the performance together.

The East High marching band performed during the half-time show of their homecoming game at Seacrest on Thursday, September 21st. At the end of each year, students are given the option of voting for the upcoming theme. The options for the 2023 marching season were dreamscapes, road trips, or mirage (based on ‘1001 Arabian Nights’); after the students vote, the directors make the final decision. The chosen theme for this year is dreamscapes. After months of practice, the band showed off their dreamscapes themed act, performing not just for school pride, but also as a test run for their upcoming competitions.

Their show contains songs such as ‘Sweet Dreams’, ‘Sleeping Beauty Waltz’, ‘A Million Dreams’, and others fitting their theme. Their show consists of three parts; the band was not as prepared for the third part as they were for the first two, but nonetheless the show impressed many. Especially considering they had to perform in the rain, the band maintained great composure throughout the entire show. Aside from the music, the color guard performance beautifully complimented the shapes and squiggles the band created.

“I believe that it actually turned out a lot better than I originally thought,” junior Emily Baldwin said.

Having spent two months so far practicing, their routine is coming together very well. The new wave of freshmen is fitting in very nicely, and with help from the drum majors the band is doing everything they can to maximize their potential.

“Yeah I like it,” senior drum major Robbie Heller said. “It’s got some really cool melodies in it with ‘The Sound of Silence’, the waltz from “Sleeping Beauty”, as well as ‘A Million Dreams’ from “The Greatest Showman”. So it’s got some really cool things and it’s got cool buildups. So I like it, it definitely is a cool show and I’m glad I got to do it for my senior year.”

Their improvements from last year’s show is incredible, and it’s really boosted the band’s morale. If they stay on track, every show should be better than the last.