Lincoln East High School's home of Spartan news

Olivia Rodrigo’s new album is far from a bad idea

Photo by Kendra Riekenberg
Olivia Rodrigo tops the charts with her sophomore album, Guts, on September 8, 2023. Rodrigo’s album debuted 12 new songs that provide a young perspective to the pop-rock genre.

Olivia Rodrigo released her second album, “Guts”, on September 8, 2023. It’s nostalgic, angsty, and full of new anthems for teenage girls. As a fresh 20 year old, Rodrigo is able to bring some teenage spirit to the pop-rock genre. Her sophomore album has managed to outperform her debut album, “Sour”, in the first week of its release. This is impressive, especially considering the success Rodrigo acquired from her hits like “Driver’s License” and “Good 4 U”. Rodrigo’s superstar power is no fluke, and she’s just getting started.

Rodrigo’s audience is definitely geared towards teenage girls, as each track is relatable for more than one reason. Whether it’s a bad ex-boyfriend, a best friend’s betrayal, or a lack of confidence, there’s a song on “Guts” to get you through it.

“I’ve realized that I’m not really that special,” Rodrigo said in an interview with Phoebe Bridgers. “I really boiled my problems down and I’m like ‘Oh, they’re just 19-year-old, 20-year-old problems in a different environment. If you speak honestly about any experience, then someone is going to find truth in it.”

This album seems to have more of an angsty feel than “Sour, with songs like “All American Bitch” expressing repressed anger, and “The Grudge” showcasing pain from being betrayed. Rodrigo also touches on all sorts of boy problems with “Logical”, “Get Him Back!”, “Love Is Embarrassing”, and “Teenage Dream.”

“My favorite song is “Making The Bed,” junior Katie Merten said. “It really makes me feel all the emotions she’s singing about.”

“Guts” is a creative, cohesive album. One of the most clever songs lyrically is “Get Him Back!” The lyrics have a double meaning, where you can listen to the song with two different perspectives. The idea of “getting him back” can be interpreted as wanting revenge, or actually wanting him back. She sings “wanna kiss his face, with an uppercut” and “wanna meet his mom, to tell her her son sucks.” It is an innovative paradox that will be perfect for screaming at her concerts.

Presale tickets for Rodrigo’s world tour went on sale by Ticketmaster on September 20, 2023. Due to the high demand, many fans were waitlisted and didn’t get access to tickets until later that week. But, there is a wide range of prices, and many other resale sites to provide more opportunities for tickets.

Overall, Rodrigo has created another massive album, with all 12 songs in the Hot 100s. The album itself has also held at No. 1 of the Artist 100 and Billboard 200. Her fame is only rising, and she has countless teens who will support her for years to come.