Lincoln East High School's home of Spartan news

KP: 60 schools attend East College Fair

Some of the schools in attendance for the College Fair at Lincoln East high school on Thursday, October 5th. Around 60 schools attended, giving students plenty of opportunities to obtain information.

The East College Fair took place on Thursday, October 5th, 2023 during second and third period in the South Gym. 60 college and military representatives attended. Some schools in attendance were Creighton University, University of Kansas, Nebraska Army National Guard, and University of Nebraska- the Lincoln, Omaha, and Kearney locations. Juniors and seniors throughout the building showed up to ask questions and discuss post-high school plans with representatives who have the answers.

Going to the college fair is about more than just skipping class. Students can get a better picture of where they want to spend their years after graduation.

“College fairs give students the opportunity to connect with college admissions officers, and find out more about those institutions,” East counselor Alan Carothers said. “It provides information and instruction on how to apply to college.”

Students mosied around the South Gym stopping at booths, gathering information, and getting their barcode scanned. This year East used the website Strivescan to create individual profiles for each student that includes all their basic information like GPA, email, and test scores. The representatives at the stands scanned students’ QR codes and were able to communicate and send out information right off the bat.

Colleges benefit by coming to these fairs for many reasons. They spread information about their school’s programs, find new prospective students, and share why they think the school is a good fit for most.

“We benefit because we get a chance to connect with a lot of our Nebraska students,” South Dakota State representative Seth Conley said. “I’m an alum so I enjoy talking about SDSU and the school I love so much. I get a chance to break down how SDSU can really meet everyone’s needs.”