Quench your thirst with Lincoln East’s coolest drinks

Photo by Peyton Svehla
One of the most popular drinks in the East vending machines are Bubbl’rs, a drink that “boosts, energizes, and restores balance.”

If there’s one thing that Lincoln East’s students enjoy, it’s the sweet drinks, found in the school’s vending machines. From caffeinated Bubbl’rs to the infamous Dr. Pepper, there’s a drink for everyone in these magical boxes. Here are the drinks available in these vending machines, and what I recommend.

Beginning with the debatably most popular and available drink, Bubblr’s. While Bubblr’s only have 5 calories, they are tastefully sweet, with a natural caffeine boost (69 mg) equivalent to a cup of coffee. Available flavors are Twisted Elix’r, Triple Berry Breez’r, Pitaya Berry Nect’r, Cherry Guava Blend’r, Lemon Lime Twist’r, and Blood Orange Mango Mingl’r. If you’re looking for a drink substitutable to Sprite with fewer calories and a healthy source of energy, the Lemon Lime Twist’r is perfect for you. Otherwise, Triple Berry Breez’r is a best-seller for a reason: it’s a sweet blueberry flavor that you could drink every day without getting sick of it. Overall, I rate Bubbl’r’s a 10/10.

“I have a Bubbl’r almost every day at school,” senior Jordyn Wissing said. “They help me stay awake in class, and I’ve had them for over 2 years and still enjoy every flavor.”

The Spartan vending machine is located in a perfect location to sell high-electrolyte drinks such as Gatorade and Powerade: in the athletic hallway. After a strenuous practice, athletes can visit the vending machine for these famous drinks. But athletes face the question of which drink to purchase… Gatorade or Powerade? While Gatorade controls 63% of the US sports drink market, Powerade contains more micronutrients, such as magnesium, niacin, and vitamins B6 and B12, which help your body recover. With a sweeter taste and better nutritional value, I rate Powerade 8/10, compared to Gatorade which I rate 7/10.

“Being a student-athlete it’s really nice to have sports drinks available close to the gyms,” senior Hadley Bailey said. “After practice, I can refuel right away.”

When Mtn Dew Kickstart Energy Drinks were removed from the vending machines last school year, students sought for a new drink to get them through the 7-hour school day. While nothing truly compared to the 200 mg offered in a Kickstart, BodyArmor was a safe alternative, offering 100 mg of caffeine. This tasty beverage offers twice the electrolytes as Gatorade while also offering essential vitamins, such as A, C, and E, making it another great drink for student-athletes. Although packed with nutritional benefits, I don’t think I could make BodyArmor’s an everyday drink due to their unique flavor. Overall, I rate them a 7/10.

While there are even more drink options available for students, this review on Bubblr’s, Gatorade, Powerade, and BodyArmors should offer Spartans a variety of options next time they make a stop at the East vending machines.