Lincoln East senior, Berkley Nielsen, debuts successful Christmas album

Photo by Ava Chapin
Lincoln East senior, Berkley Nielsen, displays her debut album, “I’ll Be Home for Christmas” that she released in 2022. The album was a great accomplishment as she sold CDs and booked live events.

Berkley Nielsen, a senior at Lincoln East High School, released her debut music album, “I’ll Be Home for Christmas” on December 1, 2022, under her stage name, Berkley June. Having something music related that is wholly her own has been a long time dream that has finally come true.

The album is mainly dedicated to her grandparents and other family members, some of whom have never seen her perform live. On the note of family, her stage name is also a nod to her grandfather.

“I made a promise to my grandfather when I was younger that Berkley June would be my stage name, and I am now fulfilling that promise,” Nielsen said.

The album’s release was a success that continues to this day. Her talent can be enjoyed through music streaming platforms and live performance. In 2022, she performed at a fundraising event located in Gateway Mall called “Starry Nights.” She asked if she could perform, and they said yes, although her name wouldn’t officially appear on the program. This year, however, was different.

“This year they invited me to do it,” Nielsen said. “They said that they loved that I performed last year and asked if I could come again, and I made it into the program too.”

Vocal music is something that Nielsen loves to be involved in at any capacity. At East, she sings in Express, Eclipse, and Singers choirs, and has done both the musical, and soon the cabaret, for all four years of high school. One of her peers, junior Hope Gibbons, has been alongside her in many of her extracurriculars.

“She’s a year older than me, and ever since my freshman year, I’ve looked up to her and I’m happy I get to do shows with her,” Gibbons said.

Inspiring those around her, music is something that Nielsen will always cherish, and she plans to keep it in her future.

“I’m definitely going to try to perform solo and kind of just see where it takes me,” Nielsen said. “If it’s meant to be, it’s meant to be, and if not, that’s okay.”