Predicting 2024’s Oscar wins

Photo by Ava Chapin
“Killers of the Flower Moon,” “Oppenheimer,” and “Barbie” amongst others are nominated for the 2024 Oscars. The nominations were released on Tuesday, January 23, 2024.

With the recent unveiling of 2024’s Oscar nominations on Tuesday, January 23, this film awards season is entering its final stretch. With ceremonies like the Golden Globes and Critics’ Choice Awards already occurring in early January, the next big anticipated show is the Oscars themselves, which will take place on Sunday, March 10, 2024.

It’s safe to say that the most notable films in the eyes of the general public this season have been “Barbie” and “Oppenheimer,” more commonly known as “Barbenheimer.” Both of the films have been dominating in their respective drama and comedy categories.

Lincoln East senior Dasha Muller, who is passionate about the film awards season and film in general, is rooting for “Oppenheimer.”

“I definitely think the winner [for Best Picture] will be ‘Oppenheimer’ or ‘Killers of the Flower Moon,’” Muller said. “I do think ‘Oppenheimer’ has a higher chance just based off of the amount of other things it’s nominated for including Best Leading Actor, and Best Supporting Actor and Actress.”

At the Golden Globes, which are known to be a precursor to how the Oscars will go, “Oppenheimer” won five awards. Based on this, as well as the excellence of the film itself, it is expected to win Best Picture. Cillian Murphy also looks to be in the lead for Best Actor, and Christopher Nolan for Best Director. Another prediction for this film’s success that is hardly up for debate is Ludwig Göransson winning for Best Original Score.

“Barbie” scored eight Oscar nominations, and similar to the Globes, Billie Eilish and Finneas O’Connell will likely win for Best Original Song with “What Was I Made For?” Despite the film’s wide recognition, Greta Gerwig was definitely snubbed of a nomination for Best Director.

Some other snubs this year were the entirety of the films “The Iron Claw,” “May December,” and “All of Us Strangers.”

Aside from snubs, something that was deserved was Lily Gladstone’s nomination for Best Actress in “Killers of the Flower Moon.” Without a doubt, she will take home the prize. Gladstone also made history as she became the first Native American person to be nominated for an acting Oscar.

Overall, this film awards season is one for the books as there are superb films in every single category. Compared to previous years, this season has resonated with audiences, seen through how the Golden Globes’ viewership rose 50% from last year. It is expected for the Oscars to turn out similarly, and is a night to look forward to.