Lincoln East High School's home of Spartan news

Is the Willy Wonka prequel worth the watch?

Photo by Tina Mashayekhi
The “Wonka” movie first premiered on Dec. 15 in theaters, and made approximately $39 that weekend. Since then, it has been capturing many viewer’s hearts with it’s beautiful musical numbers.

In Paul King’s new musical look at “Willy Wonka’s Chocolate Factory”, viewers get to see the story of how Wonka claimed his fame. While Johnny Depp’s interpretation of the character was loved for being a bit darker, Timothée Chalamet goes back to the basics with a soft and comedic take. Lots of the rest of the cast is also played by very well-known actors, such as Keegan-Michael Key playing the police chief, Rowan Atkinson playing the priest, and Hugh Grant playing the oompa loompa.

“I adored the music in the movie and sense of nostalgia it brought,” said freshman Anita Mashayekhi. “The acting was phenomenal and I couldn’t control my laughter at some points.”

The movie had many emotional parts included, such as the backstory involving Wonka and his mom that comes back at the end. The visuals of the movie are also quite impressive, including incredible scenery during the opening view of his factory.

“I really liked it,” said sophomore Kai Masters. “I thought the movie was really great.”

With a prequel now joining the list of movies that captures Roald Dahl’s character from 1964, the doors are open for a sequel to be made. We know how the chocolate factory started, we know how it goes, but what happens after Charlie takes over?

A special side note to remember, with the release of the movie came the release of Wonka Magic Hat Gummies. Each bag contains a mix of the four flavors: orange strawberry, raspberry grape, strawberry watermelon, and magic berries. A fun twist is that after eating the gummies, your tongue turns blue.

For those who haven’t seen it yet, “Wonka” is absolutely worth the watch. For those who are waiting for it to come to streaming services, the movie was produced by Warner Bros., so you can expect to see it streaming on Max once it runs its course in theaters. Before that, you can expect to see it on Prime Video, Vudu, Apple TV, and other services starting January 30th.