Lincoln East High School's home of Spartan news

Take Charge mock interviews prepare students for their future

Braxton+Frederick%2C+junior%2C+shakes+hands+with+his+interviewer+after+completing+his+mock+interview+on+March+27%2C+2024.+The+mock+interview+assignment+is+assigned+to+help+prepare+students+for+future+job+interviews%2C+and+teach+them+the+skills+they+need+to+be+successful+in+their+future+job+search.+
Photo by Claire Weibye
Braxton Frederick, junior, shakes hands with his interviewer after completing his mock interview on March 27, 2024. The mock interview assignment is assigned to help prepare students for future job interviews, and teach them the skills they need to be successful in their future job search.

On March 27, 2024, Take Charge students from around Lincoln East dawn their most professional outfits and enter the library for one of the most important assignments of the class: mock interviews. In the weeks leading up to the interview, students compile a resume, complete a job application, practice handshakes, and rehearse responses to common interview questions.

“I really enjoyed the entire interview process,” an anonymous Take Charge student said. “I feel like I am much more prepared for a real job interview, and now I even have a resume to use.”

The mock interview assignment is given to help prepare students for future job interviews and teach them the skills they need to be successful in their future job search.

“I thought the interview would be really scary,” an anonymous student said. “After the mock interview, I discovered that it wasn’t that bad. It’s more like a conversation than an interrogation. I’m not as nervous for a real interview anymore.”

Mock interviews are given to encourage comfortability in an interview setting. After the mock interview occurs, students feel significantly more confident in sitting down for a real, and higher stakes interview.

“Students will interview multiple times throughout their lives and will continue to learn how to prepare and be successful in that environment,” Benjamin Brink, Take Charge teacher, said. “A great resume will get you an interview, but a great interview will get you the job. The process can be intimidating and challenging, but getting the first interview out of the way gives students confidence and perspective on what future interviews will be like.”

Teachers of the class reiterate the importance of the mock interview assignment in class daily. They know just how important the interview stage is for a real job, and hope the students gain some meaningful experience through the mock interview.