Senior Ash Nabb directs Lincoln East’s annual student-directed play

Photo by Ava Chapin
Ash Nabb (black jacket) begins “A Wrinkle in Time” rehearsal on Monday, April 8, in East’s black box. The cast and crew have worked hard on the show since February.

A unique opportunity in the Lincoln East theater department is the annual student-directed play. The play is separate from East’s mainstage spring play, “Puffs,” which had its performances on April 4-6. Although the two plays rehearse simultaneously in different spaces, the student-directed play has its performances later in the month. Additionally, the cast and crew of each play are different, but senior Ash Nabb found her way into both.

2024’s student-directed play is “A Wrinkle in Time,” which follows the adventures of teenage characters traveling through space and time in a sci-fi fantasy setting. The opportunity to direct this show was announced in mid-February, and students had to fill out an application to be selected. With her creative thinking and theater experience, Nabb was chosen to direct.

“First of all, I really liked the script,” Nabb said. “I thought it was cool, and I liked the idea of having an opportunity to work with other students and be really hands-on.”

The cast consists of about 14 students, allowing for an intimate space where everyone can feel welcome and connected.

“It’s a smaller cast, so the environment allows us to have a lot of fun and mess around, but also do the work,” Nabb said. “It’s also really nice when things fall into place and I’m able to communicate effectively and they know what I want from them.”

Aside from directing “A Wrinkle in Time,” Nabb also had an acting role in the mainstage play, “Puffs.” Having acted in multiple productions at East previously, she was determined to be involved in both plays at once. But this year, directing was a first for her, and it taught her new artistic lessons.

“I’ve learned a lot about the give and take of working with people,” Nabb said. “I’m directing and leading and it’s technically my vision, but it’s still a collaboration at the end of the day.”

The stage manager of “A Wrinkle in Time,” sophomore Mindy Lierz, appreciates the collaboration that Nabb creates with all students involved in the production.

“Ash is one of the best people I have ever worked with,” Lierz said. “All of her creative ideas and the way she pieced this show together is so awesome to see. I love the environment she creates, and I’m so happy I got to buddy with her for this show.”

The show’s rehearsal process is coming to an end, but that same authentic space that was created from day one of the play remains.

“Make sure you really take time to invest in your cast and crew because I think one thing that really helped was that we spent time getting to know each other and building relationships,” Nabb said. “So now, the work that we’re doing is easier.”

“A Wrinkle in Time” has its performances on April 19 and 20 in Lincoln East’s black box, and with Nabb’s direction, will surely be a success.