Filed under A&E, News

Hear the Hope

Flyer for the Hear the Hope benefit showcase.

Photo by Karlie Van Meter

Photo by Karlie Van Meter

Created and organized by Lincoln East junior, Karlie Van Meter, Hear the Hope is a local benefit concert for all ages to attend. This Saturday on May 12th at the Union Plaza Amphitheater, entertainment, food and other organized booths will be set up to create awareness on the topic of mental health and suicide prevention, as well as gain free will donations for a local organization, HopeLNK.

HopeLNK is a nonprofit organization in Lincoln that hopes to increase conversation involving mental health, as well as suicide prevention. Their mission is to move toward the issue by recognizing the difficult realities that many people in our community and our world face, and taking them head-on with guidance and hope.

“I brought the idea up in December and finally got it approved by the district in January,” explains Van Meter, “From there I met with representatives from HopeLNK and set the final date of the event as well as the location and time.” After distributing the information and flyers throughout social media, retirement communities, LPS high schools, Pius X, Lincoln Lutheran, and Waverly, performers and equipment from the Nebraska Music Academy were coordinated and finalized. “Most of the work was just going to meetings and donating,” says Van Meter.

From 1-4PM, the suicide prevention benefit showcase will contain performances from Emma Ogea, Hakim, Histrionic, Jadyn Keller, Mickenze Steiner, the Sole Patrol Cloggers, and Yellow After Rain, as you enjoy treats from Valentino’s and Kona Ice. For just $3 you can enjoy local performers and food for a good cause.

About the Writer
Emily Bray, A&E Editor

Emily Bray is a junior at Lincoln East High School and this is her second year on the Oracle staff.  Bray is a varsity cheerleader at East and an honor roll student. In her free time, she likes to spend time with her friends, watch Netflix, go for walks and hikes, and hang out with her dog, Ruby.  Additionally, she enjoys traveling to Lake of the Ozarks in Missouri every summer to spend time at a family condo. Emily is looking forward to finishing out her last two years of high school strong.  Hoping to attend UNL, she would like to continue to cheer in college while studying graphic design and journalism. This year, Emily is excited to take on more responsibility as the Arts and Entertainment editor.