Lincoln East Tennis clinches 3rd consecutive State Title; Softball Team secures 5th place at State Tournament

Caden Haar celebrates his #1 Doubles victory against Elkhorn South in the championship match at the state tournament on October 14, 2023. With the win, Haar became a 3 time state champion.

Once again the Lincoln East Boys Tennis team was successful in securing a state championship title for the third straight year at the Woods Tennis Center in Lincoln, NE, over the course of three days of play. That same week, the Lincoln East softball team placed 5th at the state tournament in Hastings, NE.

The Spartans tennis team won gold officially on October 14, 2023, in all four events: 1 singles (sophomore Hunter Nelson), 2 singles (junior Joseph Bucknell), 1 doubles (junior Caden Haar and sophomore Samarth Sajeesh), and 2 doubles (senior Yakub Islamov, sophomore Kayden Le.)

Along with team titles, Nelson continued his impressive undefeated streak in high school and captured his second individual title. Lincoln East will return 5 of the 6 players on the team, with only one graduating, senior Islamov.

The semi finals match almost allowed for an upset in 1 doubles when Haar and Sajeesh dropped the first set to Lincoln Southeast’s Nahum Barber and Ruyter Jamison. Nevertheless, the two persevered to beat their longtime Knights rivals, and secured themselves a place in the state championship matchup versus Elkhorn South.

“Representing East has honestly been the best thing ever happened to me,” Haar said. “Wearing the blue and white, representing our community, and everybody who has passed through those halls.”

The tennis’ team championship and success of the Lincoln East Softball team will contribute to the likelihood of the Spartans earning their third straight NSAA Cup title.

The Girls Softball team conquered the state tournament in Hastings, NE on October 11 and 12, 2023. The team entered the tournament as a four seed, with their first matchup against school rival Lincoln Southwest. The Spartans ultimately dropped the game 7-3, despite a home run from senior Madison Adams. Lincoln East went on to finish in 5th place in the tournament.

“Being able to represent East in the state softball tournament for the past four years has been such a special blessing,” Adams said. “I couldn’t have asked for a better four years.”