Brian Bullington: a legacy of greatness at East

Photo by Hope Shortridge
Bullington coaching junior Bella Elgert at Mahoney golf course during the 2023 golf season. He wore his iconic bucket hat to every meet, and made it his staple accessory.

Brian Bullington has announced his retirement from coaching Lincoln East athletics after 40 years. From being the football coach to the head girls golf coach- Bullington has impacted the lives of many students passing through East athletically and personally.

Bullington realized his passion for coaching at 16 years old when he coached a 12U baseball team with a friend of his.

“We just enjoyed coaching, and I told my Mom that’s what I wanted to do. I realized I had to go to college to get my teaching degree so I could coach,” Bullington said. “I wasn’t the greatest high school student, but I had such a strong passion for coaching. Once I graduated and started to do what I loved, it was just pure enjoyment.”

Nebraska Wesleyan was where Bullington coached basketball as well as football. He coached these two sports before coming over to East to coach them here in 1982.

“Being able to control the situation and make adjustments while having good interactions with the kids was my favorite part of coaching basketball,” Bullington said. “Football was more of a challenge, you’ve got 11 guys on the field, and they all have to do everything exactly the same. It was more preparation and sometimes harder to make adjustments, but I enjoyed it. I found coaching at the college level really rewarding because the kids at Wesleyan were very smart. I had fun coaching those kinds of students.”

In 2010, Bullington took over the East Girls Golf program. He was able to create many successful teams, and overall grow the program with his time in charge. This past 2023 season, Bullington led the girls to the school’s first-ever state championship, with the third-lowest score in Nebraska state history.

“My favorite part of coaching golf is the mental aspect of it,” Bullington said. “I always tell the girls that you all have your swing coaches, and you’ve been coached by your parents at an early age. But once they get on the course 90% of it is mental. The preparation, going into the shot, and responding to the shot. Golf takes so much mental toughness.”

Bullington did a great job coaching the golfers, but he also made a point to have fun. The girls all appreciated his sense of humor and the way he was unapologetically himself.

“My favorite memory of Bullington this season was after we won our first day at state and the team headed to Texas Roadhouse,” said junior on varsity Kellie Peitzmeier. “After we finished eating, the waitress presented the table with a saddle and cowboy hat. Bullington hopped on and proceeded to lasso the air. We all had a nice laugh, and it kept our spirits up for the rest of the tournament.”

Overall, Bullington has left an impressionable effect on many students throughout his long career of coaching. The girls golf team is sad to know he’s leaving, but they know he will be watching and cheering them on for the future seasons to come.