Can Nebraska Volleyball be almost perfect?

NCAA Division One Volleyball tournament predictions
Hope Shortridge’s picks for the NCAA tournament prior to its beginning on November 30, 2023. Shortridge picked Nebraska to defeat Stanford in the National Championship on Sunday, December 17, 2023.

The 2023 NCAA Division One volleyball tournament officially began on Thursday, November 30, 2023. 32 of the 64 teams qualified automatically by winning their conference, while the other 32 had to wait to hear their name called during the selection show on Sunday, November 26, 2023. To make their choices, the selection committee took into consideration each team’s overall record, strength of their schedule, rating percentage index (RPI), results versus common opponents, locations of contests, and significant wins and losses. The state of Nebraska had 3 eligible teams, all of which won their conference: Nebraska (Big Ten), Nebraska-Omaha (Summit League), Creighton (Big East). The National Semi-finals will take place on Thursday, December 14, with the National Championship on Sunday, November 17 at 3pm ET in Tampa, Florida.

Four teams are coming into the tournament as number one seeds. Nebraska was named the overall one seed with just one loss to Wisconsin on November 24, 2023 with Stanford, Pittsburgh, and Wisconsin filling the other number one seed picks. If any of the number one seeds win both their first round games, they will get to continue to host the next two rounds (Sweet 16 and Elite 8). Nebraska was named the overall one seed with just one loss to Wisconsin on November 24, 2023. Stanford, Pittsburgh, and Wisconsin were the other teams named one seed. If they each win both of their first round games, they will continue to host the next two rounds (Sweet 16 and Elite 8).

Lincoln East senior Mallorie Meyer has officially signed with Pittsburgh and will be on the team next year. Meyer is excited about Pitt being a one seed and joining the program next year.

“I have high expectations for myself going into [next year],” Meyer said. “You can obviously see the success that they’ve had earning a one seed in the tournament.”

With a team led by multiple freshmen, including the Big Ten Setter of the Year (Bergen Reilly), and Big Ten Freshman of the Year (Harper Murray), Nebraska is looking to bring back a National Championship to Lincoln for the first time since 2017. The Huskers were dominant throughout the season, with an undefeated record of 27-0 before facing Wisconsin again on November 24, and ultimately falling to the Badgers in three sets. That leaves the question, can Nebraska be “almost” perfect and win it all? Only the final match on Sunday December 17, 2023 will tell.