Youth Leadership Lincoln paves way for aspiring leaders in Lancaster County

Photo by Laura Uridil
Youth Leadership Lincoln Cohort ’25 gathers together at Gifts of Love Toy Distribution to volunteer in December, 2021. The volunteers helped children pick out a toy that they would like for the holidays.

Leadership Lincoln is an organization dedicated to developing leaders of all ages in Lincoln and Lancaster County. Free applications for the youth cohort are now available to be filled out by the Class of 2026. The youth cohort consists of approximately 40 sophomores, who come together to learn about the city of Lincoln and to develop their leadership skills. They also meet with leaders in the community in order to gain connections and understanding of how a city is run.

Participants gather once a month during the school day to learn about a variety of topics. Each month has a “theme” such as community visions, business, government, human services, or health. Once students are accepted into Youth Leadership Lincoln (YLL), there is a retreat in the beginning of August to focus on team building within the group, and to explore preexisting leadership skills.

Kai Sasaki, a member of the YLL ‘25 cohort and junior at Lincoln Southwest high school, spoke highly of his experience in Leadership Lincoln.

“I would recommend YLL because it allows aspiring leaders to bring and utilize their leadership skills in all areas of the real world,” Sasaki said. “From learning about local businesses to practicing for an interview, students can develop a greater sense of leadership and prepare themselves for a bright future.”

Laura Uridil is the Program Director for Leadership Lincoln, and has been involved with the organization since she was a part of the first youth cohort in 1996. Uridil encourages all sophomores to apply.

“High school sophomores from Lancaster County have the opportunity to meet with community leaders across Lincoln and learn how they can help maintain the quality of life we enjoy,” Uridil said. “Our goal is to help participants learn where they can best put their interests, skills, and talents to use within the community.”

There is a $350 non-refundable tuition requirement for all participants, with tuition assistance available as necessary. Applicants are required to submit the confidential application questions, a parent permission form, and a school/principal approval form. Paper applications can be found at all Lincoln high schools, online at Youth Leadership Lincoln Application, and all materials are due on Friday, May 19th, 2023.

Seminar dates for the 2023-2024 year:
Thursday, September 21, 2023, 8:00am-3:00pm
Thursday, October 19, 2023, 8:00am-3:00pm
Thursday, November 16, 2023, 8:00am-3:00pm
December 2-6, 2023 (You will sign up for one half day)
Thursday, January 25, 2024, 8:00am-3:00pm
Thursday, February 22, 2024, 8:00am-3:00pm
Thursday, March 28, 2024, 8:00am-3:00pm
Thursday, April 25, 2024, 10:00am-7:00pm
Youth Leadership Lincoln Application